Nobody looks forward to the day that their insurance will finally come in handy. With the amount of paperwork to fill out, you might wonder if it’s even worth filing a claim at all. We here at Millennium Insurance Corporation understand the frustration you feel when filing a claim with your homeowners insurance in Calgary and Edmonton. Let us show you how easy it can be to have your claim resolved in no time.
Filing a claim: theft
If you come home one day to find your door ajar or window smashed in, follow these steps to make a claim and recover any damaged or stolen property:
- Call the police: if you come home and suspect that an intruder has been inside your house: DO NOT ENTER. It’s important that you contact the police right away. The faster they arrive, the higher chance you have of recovering your valuables (note: if you come into contact with an intruder, do not try to prevent them from leaving as they may be armed).
- Take inventory: after the police have declared your home to be safe, go inside and take an inventory of your valuables (you should always keep your receipts in case a claim ever needs to be made).
- Call your insurance company: after reporting the incident and using your pre-existing inventory checklist, a claims adjuster will work with you to determine the total value of lost property.
- Take photos or video of property damage: take photos in case the scene is compromised should the need for further investigation arise.
- Work with the company representative to replace all damage and stolen property: the insurance company will then determine the exact value of lost property (minus depreciation and deductible, depending on the terms of your policy).
Filing a claim: property damage
In the case of a fire or any other disaster related incidence covered under your policy, you should do as follows:
- Call your insurance company: notify them of the incident
- Fill out a claims form: filling out all the details of the incident
- Organize an inspection: get a full assessment of totally damage
- Take pictures: document all damage
- Make temporary repairs: only as much as you need to keep your home inhabitable
- Claim resolution: determine full cost, receive payment and finish repairs
Don’t get caught up trying to resolve your insurance claim. Trust the experts at Millennium Insurance Corporation. We’ll make sure you’re well taken care of. Call us today for more information regarding the lowest rates on your auto, homeowners and business insurance in Edmonton and Calgary. Visit our website and find the policy that’s right for you.